Air fryers work by having a fan on top with a heating element, and has a basket at the bottom that pulls out like a drawer. The appliance will blow heat in air fryer which will crisp the outer surface of the food. What is the difference compared to deep-frying? Deep-frying has oil that is coated all around your food, and the heat of deep-frying causes high oxidizes which really takes out any of the nutrients your food would have prior. Also, the oxidized oil is known as a leading factor in heart disease. Air frying cooks your food from all sizes evenly and blows hot air inside the appliance without any oil. We love air frying potatoes, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, and even empanadas. Having our air fryer has played a big role in making our plant-based lifestyle feel like we’re having indulgence but still eating a healthy diet.
Here’s one of my favorite air fry recipes:
Cauliflower Wings with a Bite
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 1 cup nut milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup oat flour (I pulsed oats in my blender to create a flour)
- 2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Hot Sauce
- Preheat Air Fryer to 350 degrees
- Cut up the cauliflower into the size you’d like your “wing”.
- Mix together the nut milk and flour till it resembles pancake mix.
- Place the cauliflower into the batter and then coat the wing with breadcrumbs.
- Placing the wing onto a piece of parchment paper.
- Air Fry for 10 minutes.
- Take out the wings and coat in your choice of hot sauce.
- Then Air Fry for 10 more minutes.